Ten Steps to Advocacy in Healthcare Published by International Council of Nurses
The International Council of Nurses recently published a guide to healthcare advocacy, "Promoting Health: Advocacy Guide for Health Professionals."
The guide covers the following 10 steps to effective advocacy:
- Taking action – overcoming obstacles to action;
- Selecting your issue – identifying and drawing attention to an issue;
- Understanding your political context – identifying the key people you need to influence;
- Building your evidence base – doing your homework on the issue and mapping the potential roles of relevant players;
- Engaging others – winning the support of key individuals/organizations;
- Developing strategic plans – collectively identifying goals an objectives and best ways to achieve them;
- Communicating messages and implementing plans – delivering your messages and counteracting the efforts of opposing interest groups;
- Seizing opportunities – timing interventions and actions for maximum impact; and
- Taking a developmental approach – building sustainable capacity throughout the process
Topics: Building Community, Civic Life, Ending Domestic Violence, Ending Homophobia, Ending Racism, Ending Sexism, Health Care, Health Care Access, Immigration, Non-profit, Policy, Politics, Public Health
Watch and Listen
New Research & Recommendations
This report (PDF 3.8MB) offers guidance for community organizations and those who fund social change in how best to harness the power of local media-making for community health improvement. Spanish-language version is now available. Una versión en español de este informe esta en la web.