Egal Shidad STD Discussion Guide
Because students in adult English class are very diverse (including men and women, young and old, religious and non-religious, et cetera) and because discussing issues of sexuality in such heterogeneous groups is uncommon, the Egal Shidad Project Team understands the challenge that using this video presents for English teachers. For this reason we opted, in year two, to create this Discussion Guide, instead of a more scripted lesson packet like the Mental Health-related ELL Lessons produced in year one.
- Download the complete STD Video Discussion Guide (PDF)
Live links to the web resources referenced in the STD Video Discussion Guide
- The Symptoms of Depression Lesson from the Egal Shidad Mental Health Program's ELL activities.
- Florida Literacy Coalition's Staying Healthy Curriculum, Chapter 2
More Information About STDs
- Fact Sheet on STDs provided by the American Social Health Association (PDF)
- Center for Disease Control, STD Homepage
- Toronto Public Health Sexual Health Information Department’s list of fact sheets
- HIV, AIDS and Islam: A Workshop Manual (PDF) This 80 page manual reads quickly, and provides a thought-provoking look at HIV/AIDS and Islam. There is an index early on that may be helpful for selecting a specific topic to read.
Health Care Resources in Twin Cities - STDs
- Community University Health Care Center, CUHCC
- Cedar Riverside Peoples Center
- Open Cities Health Center
- Westside Community Health Services - McDonough Homes Clinic
- MAWA - MN African Womens' Assoc
- Family Tree Clinic
- Smiley's Family Medicine Clinic
- SAYFSM - Sub-Saharan Youth and Family Services in Minnesota offers free, rapid and confidential HIV testing.
- Minnesota AIDS Project (MAP) has an AIDS Line - 612-373-AIDS or 800-248-AIDS - answers questions about HIV/AIDS, connects people with services, directs people to testing sites, provides info on community events, etc. MAP also provides case management and has a resource section (see Learn More on the left side of the page).
- Minneapolis Urban League has an HIV education and outreach program with Somali staff.
Watch and Listen
New Research & Recommendations
This report (PDF 3.8MB) offers guidance for community organizations and those who fund social change in how best to harness the power of local media-making for community health improvement. Spanish-language version is now available. Una versión en español de este informe esta en la web.